Pages

Tuesday 31 October 2017

Judge Dredd, Volume 3 Review (Duane Swierczynski, Nelson Daniel)


Hmm. I am NOT having much luck picking out good comics this week! I’m not a huge fan of Duane Swierczynski’s but he’s written some ok books in the past. Unfortunately I seem to have managed to grab two of his worst comics efforts with Birds of Prey Volume 3 and now Judge Dredd Volume 3 - and I’m gonna be avoiding any books with his name on going forward! 

Dredd’s wandering the Cursed Earth looking for a hovercraft that might save Mega-City One somehow and gets kidnapped by mutie hillbillies running a deathtrap carnival (is there any other kind? Hyuk yuk). Then he squares off against the Angel Gang once again. 

Believe me when I say I read A TON of 2000AD when I was a teenager so I’m very familiar with Dredd and his world which is probably why I was so unimpressed with this bland book. It’s Dredd by-the-numbers. It certainly feels like classic Dredd with the broad, stereotypical characterisations and the overly-silly celebrity chef talking to the reader, but there’s nothing new here and Dredd predictably and easily gets out of all of the dreary situations he lands in (mostly through punching).

Neither the stories nor the characters are interesting, Nelson Daniel’s art is unremarkable, and the book overall is a flat and boring read. Maybe completely new Dredd readers would enjoy this more but I can’t imagine any seasoned fans will be even remotely engaged with this forgettable, totally worthless volume.

No comments:

Post a Comment